WHAT IS PAINT SHEEN, AND WHY DOES IT MATTER?
Paint sheen refers to your paint’s level of gloss – is it shiny, or more flat? Each sheen has its own set of strengths and weaknesses, and you’ll encounter specific cases where one will stand out as the best option by far.
- Flat – The benefit of flat paint is that it’s easy to apply and smoothly covers blemishes. It’s very friendly and forgiving! So, how about the downside? Well, it’s just not very durable. This would NOT be an option to choose for a high-traffic space. For interior painting, it’s best left for ceilings, or for very specific effects that you’d like to achieve on a wall.
- Satin – This is the close cousin of flat paint, but has just a bit more sheen and durability added into the mix.
- Semi-Gloss – This is a popular, versatile product. It’s a little harder to work with, but it also has that crucial toughness and washability that you might need, especially if kids or pets are part of the equation.
- High-Gloss – At the top of the glossiness spectrum, high-gloss paint offers incredible durability and a stylish depth and lustre. Unfortunately, it also is extremely difficult to work with, requiring an experienced hand and the right tools. Thorough, meticulous surface preparation is also essential. Any imperfections, no matter how slight, will shine right through your beautiful, unforgiving finish.
MATCHING THE RIGHT PAINT SHEEN TO YOUR SURFACE
As you pick your sheen, here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- What are your stylistic goals?
- What is the condition of your surface?
- How do you need your paint to perform? Surfaces like doors and trim often do well with a tougher paint finish, while a powder room might not need that level of strength and washability.
- How comfortable are you with surface prep and repairs? Semi and high-gloss calls for a flawless surface.
TALK TO A PROFESSIONAL HOUSE PAINTER ABOUT YOUR PAINTING GOALS
Our best recommendation, especially if you’re dreaming of high-gloss finishes, is to contact your local painter to discuss your goals. And, if you live in the South Alabama area, we hope you’ll give us a call today – we’re here to serve you!